Featured Post

Syllabus

CFOR303/PSYC303 Marriage and Family Fall Semester 2016, Distance Education Instructor: Hiob Ngirachimoi, Lead Instructor: Howa...

Saturday, September 10, 2016

WEEK 5

Week 5, Choosing a Mate:
This week’s topic, “Mate Selection,”
opens up a question that will appear again as this course proceeds.  It is not a question that comes directly from me, rather it is one that emerges from the topic under consideration.
What if I selected the wrong mate?  What should I do now? 
Let me give you a brief and direct answer.  My answer applies in almost all cases.  If you want to discuss this in detail, get in touch with me.  I’ll restate the question for clarity and then give my direct answer.
What should I do if I married the wrong person?
Stay married to them. 
(If you are interested in a longer answer to slightly different question, John Piper answers a question put to him about people who wrongly remarry after divorce.  The summary of his answer is the same as my answer above.  http://www.churchleaders.com/pastors/pastor-articles/285475-divorce-remarriage-and-honoring-god-desiring-god-john-piper.html/2
You might also be interested in my comments on Piper’s This Momentary Marriage, including my comment that I disagree with his very conservative view on divorce, http://howardmerrell.blogspot.com/2016/08/deer-hunting-and-book-on-marriage-its.html.  In spite of our differences on divorce and remarriage, we agree on the answer to the question—stay married.)

We are going to look at two stories this week and see what we can learn from them. 
·         The story of Howard and Kathy’s courtship, and
·         Genesis 24, A Bride for Isaac.
Howard and Kathy’s story:
You can read our story or watch the video.  The content is the same.  The video and the written version of the story are on the disk.  The written version of the story is also in an email I sent.   You can watch the video on YouTube.

Either way, you should take some notes.  You probably ought to look at the questions before you watch or read.  It will give direction to your note-taking.
The discussion questions to which you need to respond are scattered through the following narrative.  To make it easy on you—You’re welcome—I put them all together at the end of this lesson.  They are in red.  You can copy and paste them to use in your response.
Read Genesis 24.  Read in whatever language and translation you like.
(Before we consider some questions that the two stories we have looked at have raised.  I want to emphasize, to those of us of who are married, one very important reality.  No matter how your marriage began your present focus should be, how do I move forward in the marriage in which I find myself?  Nothing that I am saying in this week’s material should be construed as an encouragement to get out of an ongoing marriage because it started bad.)
Questions & Thoughts to be considered after hearing Kathy & Howard’s Story and reading Genesis 24:
1)          We could devote a whole course to the subject before us this week.  We are not going to come anywhere close to exhaustively considering this subject.  One difficulty that my story makes raises is that generally there are two sides to this:
A.      Young people must make wise, Godly choices in the matter of deciding who they are going to marry.
B.      Parents must provide Godly, wise counsel in guiding their sons and daughters through the process that will lead to marriage.
Some of you are married.
·         You may have some unfinished business to clean up from point 1—forgiveness, repentance, acknowledging faulty foundations, etc.  (See the parenthesis at the top).  If your examination of the way you got started, and the material you considered in your “Family background,” shows problems from the past that continue to weigh down your marriage in the present, take steps to deal with those matters.  (Kathy and I would be glad to be a beginning point in helping you.)
·         But the reality is you have already made your choice.  When we consider “mate selection,” your focus ought to be primarily on how you can help your children, and other young people, successfully negotiate the route from singleness to successful marriage.  In more than four decades of pastoral ministry I have found this to be an incredibly important ministry.  Right now, your thoughts will help the single people in this class.
Make your focus that which is most appropriate to your present status.

2)           The two stories we considered represent two extremes on concerning the matter of parental involvement. 

      

In the Story of “A Bride for Isaac” the chief actors were Abraham on Isaac’s end, and Laban on behalf of Rebekah.
In Genesis 24:1-10, there is no mention of any consultation with Isaac.  If there was any, it was not considered important enough to be included in the narrative.  Later, vs. 37-44, the servant makes no mention of any conversation with Isaac, only with Abraham.  Apparently Laban, a brother, is assisting Bethuel in the parental role in Rebekah’s life.   His initial response is immediate and without any recorded consultation with Rebekah, “Here is Rebekah; take her and go. Yes, let her be the wife of your master’s son, as the Lord has directed” (51).  Later he asks his sister, “Are you willing to go with this man?” (57), but that may have only been to see if she was willing to go before the ten-day delay that her family had proposed.
Clearly the bride and groom were almost completely uninvolved in this process. 
In my case, my marriage to Kathy involved my overcoming the objection of her parents. 
·         On the above spectrum, where would you place the African culture with which Walter Trobisch interacted in I Married You?  (This is clear in the first few pages.)
·         Ravi Zacharias, tells the story of his older brother who married a woman he had never met, and did so with perfect peace, because he trusted his parents.  http://rzim.org/just-thinking/the-will-to-do/
·         Some years ago, Kathy and I were having dinner with a Godly Indian pastor, who had received his seminary education in the USA.  He had two unmarried sons. 
I asked Arnold whether he preferred the way young people found a mate in the USA (mostly the young people in control) or whether he preferred the system of his homeland where the parents took the lead.
He responded without hesitation that he very much preferred the “Indian” system.
·         About fifteen years ago a young Indian man, who was a student at a nearby Bible College was helping us at Covington Bible Church.  He was in love with, and wanted to marry Maria.  Maria was a Christian woman in India.  My friend, John, was the only person living a Christian life in his family.  He had become independent, living on his own.  He decided that he could not have his parents seek a wife for him, since they would choose a woman who was not a Christian.  He asked his pastor to step into this role on his behalf.  John’s pastor made contact with the parents of Maria.  At first they were unwilling to allow their daughter to marry John.  He was going to be a pastor, and they were usually poor.  John and Maria made a commitment similar to the one Kathy and I made, though in their Indian culture the cost was likely to be much higher.  It might very well mean that wouldn’t be able to marry.  Many of us, all over the world, prayed for John and Maria.  Today they have a lovely family, and are seeking to plant a church in a needy part of India.
Where does the usual practice for selecting a mate in your culture fit on the spectrum?
What are the dangers with either extreme?  (Please don’t worry about hurting my feelings or insulting me.  I have discussed my actions in regard to Kathy for years.  Some have agreed, others thought I was wrong, still others just shook their heads in confusion.  If you thoughtfully disagree with my conclusions, I will not be upset.  If you agree with me without good reason, I will be disappointed.  I ask you to use my experience as an opportunity to learn.)
Are there aspects of the usual practices for selecting a mate in your culture that might need to be challenged or even opposed by those who are seeking to build a Biblical marriage?
Endogomy and Exogamy, Who can I marry?
Stephen Grunlan uses these two terms in his chapter on mate selection.  “Every society has a   culturally defined group within which one may not select a mate.  The rule of exogamy requires a person to select a mate outside of this group.”
Endogamy requires or encourages mate selection within a culturally defined group.”   (78)  (Make sure these terms are in your glossary.) 
Grunlan illustrates this with a diagram similar to this:








These two words should be in your glossary.  They are defined below in slightly different words than I used earlier.
Endogamy is the practice of marrying within a specific ethnic group, class, or social group, rejecting others on such a basis as being unsuitable for marriage or for other close personal relationships.Endogamy is common in many cultures and ethnic groups.

Exogamy is a social arrangement where marriage is allowed only outside a social group. The social groups define the scope and extent of exogamy, and the rules and enforcement mechanisms that ensure its continuity.
Endogamy is a boundary pointing to a group.  “Marry someone in this group.”  Exogamy says, “Don’t marry someone in this group.”

 In my story there were some natural factors involved.  For instance, it was very unlikely that I was going to marry a girl in China.  I had never been to China, couldn’t speak any of the languages native to china, and had no plans to go there.  Most of us marry someone within the circle of people with whom we are familiar.  “One of the major factors in mate selection is propinquity, the geographical closeness of the other person.”  (Grunlan, 79)
Before coming to Appalachian Bible Institute in 1969, Kathy had considered some other schools.  She had been accepted at Moody Bible Institute in Chicago.  Had she gone there, it would have been far less likely that we would have married.  Our son, Chris, was struggling with this concept. 
A number of factors in recent history have changed patterns of behavior in this regard.  In my culture the change from people primarily working as a family in agriculture to most people working individually in factory jobs, and therefore moving from farms to cities, had a drastic impact.  Did you notice how a motorcycle and a couple of cars figured prominently in my story?  Grunlan is not alone when he observes, “Perhaps nothing has shaped modern dating more than the automobile”  (59).
What changes do you observe in your society in regard to dating and courtship?
Do these changes encourage or discourage behavior in line with Biblical mandates?
What was a major requirement for Isaac’s mate?  vs. 3-4
What were some characteristics that the servant looked for in the mate for Isaac?  vs.++ 14-21
What do you think about “arranged” marriages, where the parents choose the partner for their daughter or son expecting their child to obey them?                                                                                   
Here are two terms for your glossary:
“How does dating differ from courtship . . . ?  While a clear line cannot be drawn between the two processes because they obviously overlap, generally dating is concerned with the particular event and getting to know another person, whereas courtship is concerned with mate selection and preparation for marriage.”  Grunlan illustrates as follows:

Recreational Dating   >>  Attachment-Oriented Dating  >>  Courtship  >>  Marriage
(Grunlan, 56-57)

Here is a quotation from one of our texts.  Note the connection between courtship and marriage.
“In the light of this fact, our key verse from the Bible appears as a very modern statement. It contains precisely the same three factors. The great question is: What is the will of God concerning sex, love, and marriage? How does God want them to be related? No one dares to answer this question. “Nevertheless, I would like to make a proposition as a guide for our actions in this time of confusion. Here is my proposition: “God’s will is the interplay of forces. Therefore everything that favors it is in accord with the will of God. Everything that hinders it is not in accord with the will of God. “This guide is applicable before marriage, as well as during marriage. Before marriage, you will have to ask yourself the question: ‘Will what we are going to do prepare us later on for the interplay of forces in our marriage, or will it block us and prevent the interplay?’ During marriage, you will have to ask yourself: ‘Will this or that action deepen the interplay of forces, or will it eventually disturb it?’ 
Trobisch, Walter. I Married You (Kindle Locations 1113-1125). Quiet Waters Publications. Kindle Edition.

In the case of Isaac and Rebekah the entire process was clearly oriented toward marriage.
In my case, I decided fairly early where I wanted this to lead.  My decision(s) about “not messing this up,” had a great deal to do with this.  The culture in which my grandkids live is such that in some circles the term “dating” is synonymous with having sex.  So with many of the young adults in my part of the world their being with someone of the opposite sex has no marriage anywhere in sight.
How will you regulate your dating, so that it will lead (or could lead) to a healthy marriage for you and the person you are with?  For those of you who are already married, answer that question from the perspective of what you will teach your children and others over whom you have influence.

Briefly name one other thing you learned from my story and one from Isaac’s.

We are a long way from exhausting this subject.  If there are other matters you would like to pick up, ask me about them.
Let me suggest one other matter that is important for many.  We don’t have time to consider it as a class, but I’m putting some supplemental material here that you can pursue when you want.  It can create frustration and paralysis in the lives of the unmarried, and doubt and/or defeat in the married.  This problem is particularly insidious because it is most problematic to people who want to do what is right.  This was what caused Kathy to break up with me, and part of what caused her doubts after that (Obviously, the opposition of her dad to her marrying me was part of it, and she was wise to carefully consider that.)  Apart from the parental opposition, I call it the “Bible-college-girl-syndrome.”    In my observation, young women like Kathy who want to do God’s will are most susceptible to this problem.  In short, these young women—and some men—express the problem this way.  “How can I be sure if he (she) is the one?”
Several years ago Garry Friesen & J. Robin Maxson did the Christian community a great service by writing the book Decision Making and the Will of God, An Alternative to the Traditional Approach.  One of the decisions that is dealt with in the book is how to decide who I should marry.  It is excellent.  Here is an outline summary of the book:  https://www.monergism.com/thethreshold/sdg/The%20Traditional%20View%20-%20Garry%20Friesen%20and%20J.%20Robin%20Maxson.pdf
More recently Kevin DeYoung picked up the Friesen, Maxson theme and condensed it (I’m not sure if that was his purpose, but that’s what it looks like to me) in his book, Just Do Something.   You can find his thoughts on mate selection here:  http://lodge.marrywell.org/2011/11/something-interview-kevin-deyoung/
The two articles I list at the end of this lesson also contain points that deal with this subject.

“What I Learned In The Locker Room”
Preparing for this week’s lesson, I've been spending a great deal of time with my past. I used the story of how Kathy and I got together as a discussion starter and a way to get some important concepts across.  Thinking about our beginning,  I was reminded of an incident that happened to me fairly early in
Don't mess this up.
our relationship, while we were still in high school.
I was on the wrestling team at Bremen High School, so in the winter the end of my school day was spent in a locker room showering and getting ready to go home.  I don't remember how the subject came up, but I began to talk to some of my fellow wrestlers about Kathy.  She was a favorite subject of of conversation.  My friends on the team weren't particularly bad guys, just average American boys.  Soon, however, I became concerned about the conversation.  Anything, and I mean anything, I said about Kathy was instantly distorted and turned into something dirty.
Did I love Kathy at the time?  We'll save that argument for another day.  While my feelings for her and more importantly my commitment to her and to God concerning her, had not yet matured, I did cherish her.  I knew beyond any shadow of a doubt that I didn't want to do anything that would cause her name to be associated with the kind of conversation that I heard coming from my friend's lips or saw in the smirks on their faces.  I decided that I would never talk of Kathy again in that context.  As far as I remember, I never did, again.
That locker room commitment was the first of many.  Jesus tells of His goal for His bride in Ephesians 5:26-27.  He wants to "sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, that He might present to Himself the church in all her glory, having no spot or wrinkle or any such thing; but that she would be holy and blameless."
Guys, we are to follow that example.  We are to not only protect our wives, but cherish them, and keep  their name from being sullied.  I  learned that when I was still practicing.  Now, almost fifty years later, I see way to many guys who failed to learn that lesson.  They have never grown past the mentality of my foul-mouthed, leering high-school comrades.
Hogs don't know how to deal with pearls.



****************************************************************
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS ARE BELOW.




Discussion Questions:
1) On the spectrum of who decides who you, or your children marry, where do you place yourself?  (What is your view?)
 What is the view of most of your culture?
2)  What are the dangers with either extreme?
3)  Are there aspects of the usual practices for selecting a mate in your culture that might need to be challenged or even opposed by those who are seeking to build a Biblical marriage?  Explain.
4)  In your own words, briefly explain the concept of endogamy and exogamy. 
Is this a valid concept?
How did it apply in the story of Isaac’s bride?
How did it show up in my story?
5)  What changes do you observe in your society in regard to dating and courtship?
Do these changes encourage or discourage behavior in line with Biblical mandates?
6)  What was a major requirement for Isaac’s mate?  vs. 3-4
7)  What were some characteristics that the servant looked for in the mate for Isaac?  vs.  14-21
8)  Briefly name one other thing you learned from my story and one from Isaac’s.
Problem #2 due.  (CR #5)  See syllabus

Here are some  excellent articles I encourage you to read:

Materials used in this week’s lesson:
·         Grunlan
·         Trobisch
·         Bradley


No comments:

Post a Comment